Cranberry Pavlova – a meringue-based festive dessert
This Cranberry Pavlova is the perfect light and creamy, meringue-based festive dessert. It is made using left-over Fresh Cranberry Sauce which makes it super-easy to put together.
I always have a family lunch on Boxing Day and serve this pavlova as one of the desserts using sauce prepared for Christmas lunch. It is the perfect dessert for those who have eaten too much Christmas Pudding and want something which is still festive but is a bit lighter!
Making Fresh Cranberry Sauce is really quick and easy. If you haven’t got any left over, it is a matter of minutes to make it from scratch. It is a great accompaniment to a festive meal – either a traditional turkey dinner or a vegetarian alternative. Even better, it can be used as an ingredient in a range of desserts. I will often have some left over if I have made it as a meal accompaniment and sometimes in the summer I make a batch just to make desserts! You just have to make sure that the sauce has time to cool down before it is used to top your pavlova.
Fruit with flavour – cranberry, rhubarb and gooseberry
I love fruit which have a good balance of sharp and sweet flavour. Often, as with this recipe, they need to cooked to bring out their zingy flavour. In addition cranberries, I think rhubarb and gooseberries are both under-rated. If you share my love of a good old-fashioned sharp and sweet fruit recipe, you might like my Rhubarb Fool, Rhubarb Roulade or Gooseberry and Elderflower Sorbet.
One of the great things about pavlova is that while it has that show-stopping, celebratory vibe, they are actually extremely simple to produce even for inexperienced cooks. It is easy to make the meringue a day in advance and then assembling the pavlova takes a matter of minutes. I make loads of them at Christmas and New Year. In addition to my Cranberry Pavlova, two of favourites are Rose and Raspberry Pavlova and Lemon Pavlova.Print
This Cranberry Pavlova is made using left-over Fresh Cranberry Sauce. It is a fantastic, fruity, meringue-based festive pudding!
- 4 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 225 g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 300 ml double cream
- 250 ml Fresh Cranberry Sauce
- Set your oven to 140 C/275 F/Gas Mark 1.
- Whisk the egg whites with salt until they form stiff peaks.
- Add two tablespoons of sugar and continue to whisk until combined and the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Fold the rest of the sugar, the cornflour and the lemon juice into the whisked egg whites.
- Cover a baking sheet with baking parchment or silicon paper.
- Spoon the egg white mixture onto the baking sheet to form a large circle or oval.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour until the exterior of the meringue is hard to the touch.
- Allow to cool.
- When ready to serve, whisk the double cream until it forms soft peaks and then spread it on top of the meringue base.
- Spoon the Fresh Cranberry Sauce over the cream.
Making the Fresh Cranberry Sauce is really quick and easy. You just need to make sure that it is cooled before you assemble your pavlova.
Keywords: pavlova, cranberry, Christmas