Vegan Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
This vegan Butternut Squash Soup recipe makes a fantastic autumn lunch or simple supper. The squash is cooked slowly to bring out its natural sweetness. This is then balanced by the addition of warming chilli flakes and creamy peanut butter. This soup is based on the River Cottage Butternut and Nut Butter soup but I leave out the ginger and lime in my version as I often don’t have these to hand and I think the soup tastes fine without them!
Whether you are vegan or not, it is a great soup when days are getting colder and you want something sustaining, warming and nutritious. If you are looking to introduce non-vegans to vegan food, serve them this soup and see if they appreciate just how tasty plant-based food can be!
My vegan Butternut Squash Soup also freezes very well so you can make a batch and keep it in the freezer for when you need a quick lunch or supper. It is is also good as an addition to autumn and winter packed lunches. My children have insulated thermos flasks which mean that I can include soup in their lunch boxes and this Butternut Squash Soup is always a popular choice at this time of year.
Vegan Butternut squash soup recipePrint
In this vegan soup, the sweetness of the Butternut Squash is balanced by warming chilli and rich peanut butter.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 1 butternut squash
- Salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- Half teaspoon of dried chilli flakes
- 1 litre water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan
- Peel and chop the onion and the butternut squash. Add the vegetables to the pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook very gently for around 30 minutes until the vegetables are soft and sweet. Slow cooking caramelises the natural sugars in the vegetables and greatly improves the flavour of the soup.
- Peel and crush the garlic cloves and add them to vegetables together with the chilli flakes. Cook for a further five minutes.
- Add the water and vegetable bouillon powder to the pan containing the squash and onion. Gently simmer for around 15 minutes.
- Blend the soup until it is smooth using a food processor or hand-held blender.
- Add the peanut butter to the soup and gently re-heat.
Keywords: vegan, butternut squash, peanut butter
Loved this recipe? You may also like