This simple Almond Shortbread, flavoured with rosewater, is soft and crumbly and made in under half an hour.
- 180 g (6 oz) plain flour
- 125 g (4 oz) butter
- 55 g (2 oz) caster sugar
- 60 g (2 oz) ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon of culinary rosewater
- A little extra caster sugar
- Set your oven to 180 C, 350 F or Gas Mark 4.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the butter and combine – either by “rubbing in” by hand or processing – until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and the ground almonds.
- Add the rosewater.
- Tip the mixture into a 20 cm (8 inch) loose-based pie tin. Press the mixture into the tin using the back of a spoon.
- Put the tin into the oven and bake for 15 minutes. The shortbread will be done when it is light golden brown in colour.
- Remove from the oven. Score the shortbread into segments eight segments using a sharp knife. Sprinkle with a little caster sugar while still warm. Allow the shortbread to cool in the tin.
Keywords: shortbread, almond, rose, easy