This Asparagus and Herb Cheese Tart combines crisp buttery pastry with creamy cheese and fresh asparagus. It is very quick and easy to make for a light lunch or supper.
- 375 g (14 oz) pack of puff pastry (the brands made with butter are best!)
- 200 g (7 oz) cream cheese
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- Grated zest of half a lemon
- A bunch of mixed herbs to taste – I used fennel, thyme, chives and parsley – (finely chopped)
- Salt and pepper
- 7 or 8 stems of asparagus
- Olive oil
- Set your oven to 180 C, 350 F or Gas Mark 4.
- Roll your puff pastry out into a rectangle to fit your baking tray. Place it on the tray.
- Place the cream cheese in your mixing bowl and add the crushed garlic cloves, lemon zest and chopped herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the cheese mixture onto your pastry rectangle leaving about 2 cm clear around the edges.
- Remove the thyme leaves from the woody stems (keep the stems) and put them in a small bowl. Add the grated zest of your lemon along with the crushed garlic. Put your softened butter into the bowl and mash to combine with the other ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the ends of the asparagus stems as these can be woody and difficult to eat. The best way of doing this is to simply bend the stem and it will snap at the right point.
- Place the asparagus on top of the cheese mixture on your pastry rectangle. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place the baking tray into the oven and cook for 20-30 minutes until the pastry is crisp, golden and puffed up and the asparagus is soft.
- The tart can be eaten hot or at room temperature.
Keywords: asparagus tart, herb cheese tart