This home-made Butternut Squash Hummus combines the rich sweetness of butternut squash with the traditional flavours of chickpea and tahini.
- Half a butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 can of chickpeas (240 g or 8 oz drained weight)
- 2 tablespoons of tahini
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt (optional)
- Peel and dice the butternut squash.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the diced squash, season with salt and pepper and cook gently for 20 minutes until soft and caramelised.
- Add the crushed cloves of garlic to the pan and cook of a further five minutes.
- Place the butternut squash and garlic mixture in a blender. Add the chickpeas (retaining a few for decoration, if wished), tahini, lemon juice and Greek yogurt, if using, and process until smoothe. If the mixture is too thick, add a tablespoon of water to thin it out.
- Remove from the blender to a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with reserved chickpeas.
This recipe is vegan if the Greek yogurt is omitted.
Keywords: hummus, butternut squash