These Blood Orange Slices are a really easy way to decorate all kinds of cakes and puddings.
- 1 blood orange
- 125 ml water
- 75 g caster sugar
- Thinly slice your blood orange.
- Put the water and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Then increase the heat and bring the mixture up to boiling point.
- Put the blood orange slices into the sugar syrup and cook gently for 5 minutes until they are soft and translucent.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Leave the blood orange slices in the sugar syrup and allow to cool.
- When cool, remove the blood orange slices from the syrup and use to decorate cakes or desserts.
- Don’t throw away the syrup! It will be a beautiful pink colour and strong orange flavour and is fantastic in cocktails or soft drinks.
If blood oranges are not in season. This recipe can be used for ordinary oranges.
Keywords: blood orange,