This easy vegetarian tart combines the classic flavours of carrot and coriander (cilantro).
For the pastry:
- 275 g (10 oz) plain flour
- 125 g (5 oz) fat (I use a mix of half butter and half Trex as I think this makes the lightest pastry)
- A little water
For the filling:
- 450 g (1lb) carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons of runny honey
- A large bunch (approximately 25 g or 1 oz) of fresh coriander
- 120 ml (4 fluid oz) double cream
- 2 eggs
- Set your oven to 180 C, 350 F or Gas Mark 4.
- Make the pastry. Put the flour in a bowl. Add the fat and combine – either by “rubbing in” by hand or processing – until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Add a little cold water (2-3 tbsp) and shape the mixture into a dough.
- Peel the carrots and chop into thin disks.
- Put the carrot disks onto a baking tray. Add the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake the carrot disks in the oven for around 30 minutes until they are soft and slightly brown at the edges.
- Remove the carrot disks from the oven and put in a bowl. Add the cumin, ginger and ground coriander together with the honey. Stir to combine and set aside to cool slightly.
- Roll out your pastry and use it to line your quiche or flan dish. Bake for 20 minutes in the oven to allow the pastry to “set”. This will stop the filling making it soggy.
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the cream, and beat until combined.
- Wash and finely chop the fresh coriander.
- Place the carrot mixture and chopped coriander in your pastry case and then pour in the egg mixture.
- Place your quiche or flan dish in the oven and cook for 25 minutes.
- The tart can be eaten hot, room temperature or cold.
Keywords: carrot, coriander, cilantro, tart, quiche, vegetarian