This Cauliflower Cheese Soup is thick and gently-flavoured with the mild taste of the cauliflower being lifted by the addition of warm spicy paprika and tangy cheese.
- 1 medium sized cauliflower
- Salt and pepper
- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- 50 g (2 oz) flour
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 750 ml (1.5 pint) milk plus up to 350 ml (12 fl oz) to thin the soup if required
- 100 g strong hard cheese (eg Cheddar)
- Break the cauliflower into florets. Heat a large pan of water to boiling point. Add the florets together with a pinch of salt and simmer for approximately 7 minutes. Drain and set the florets aside.
- In a separate pan, melt the butter and then add the flour and paprika. Stir to combine and then cook for 3 minutes. Remove from the pan from the heat and gradually stir in the milk. Return the pan to the stove and heat gently until the sauce thickens.
- Grate the cheese and add it to the sauce together with the cooked cauliflower florets.
- Blend the soup until smooth using a hand blender or food processor.
- Add up to 250 ml of milk to thin the soup to your desired consistency.
Keywords: cauliflower, cheese