These Cheese Muffins with Chilli Jam are really quick and easy to make and combine a delicious, gooey cheesiness with the hot-sweet punch of the jam.
- 275 g self-raising flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 250 ml milk
- 100 g melted butter
- 1 large sprig of thyme
- 75 g of strongly flavoured cheese (I generally use cheddar or a mixture of 50g cheddar and 25g gruyere)
- Chilli Jam – (I have a really easy recipe to make Chilli Jam but shop-bought is great too)
- Set your oven to 200 C/180F/Gas Mark 6.
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin.
- Put the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the egg, milk and melted butter. Stir to combine.
- Remove the leaves from the sprig of thyme, roughly chop them and add them to the mixture.
- Finely grate the cheese and stir into the mixture.
- Spoon approximately 1 tablespoon of the muffin mixture into each of the lined holes in your muffin tray.
- Make an indentation in each portion of muffin mixture and add a spoonful of chilli jam.
- Put the muffin tray in the oven and bake the muffins for 20 minutes until they are risen and golden.
- Remove the tray from the oven and allow the muffins to cool for five minutes before taking them out of the tin.
If you don’t have shop-bought liners, you can easily make your own by cutting baking parchment into squares and using a small jar or tin to mould each square into the hole in the tin before adding the mixture.
If you are cooking for non-chilli lovers, you can just leave out the Chilli Jam and then you have a straightforward gooey cheesy muffin.
Keywords: muffins, cheese, chilli, easy,