This Cherry and Almond Cake is an English classic. Juicy glace cherries and ground almonds are the perfect teatime flavour combination.
- 200 g glace cherries
- 250 g self-raising flour
- 225 g salted butter
- 175 g golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 100 g ground almonds
- 6 tablespoons milk
- Set your oven to 180 degrees centigrade or Gas Mark 4.
- Grease a 450 g loaf tin and line the bottom with baking parchment. Alternatively, use a paper loaf tin liner.
- Wash the cherries to remove the stickiness and then cut each one in half. Dry with some kitchen roll.
- Cream the butter with the sugar in a large bowl. (I usually soften the butter for about 30 seconds in the microwave first as it makes it much easier.)
- Gradually add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture. If it looks as if it is going to curdle, add some of the self-raising flour.
- Once the eggs have been incorporated add the rest of the self-raising flour and the ground almonds.
- Add the milk to the mixture. Then add the cherries.
- Spoon the cake mixture into your prepared loaf tin.
- Put the tin in the oven and bake the cake for 1 hour. It is done when it is golden and springy to the touch.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the tin.
- When the cake is cool, remove it from the tin.
Keywords: cherry, almond, cake, recipe, homemade