This rich and creamy, home-made Coffee Ice Cream is made from only four ingredients.
- 4 egg yolks
- 85 g caster sugar
- 425 ml double cream
- 5 teaspoons of instant coffee granules
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar in a bowl until the mixture looks paler and resembles a mousse.
- Put the cream and coffee granules in a saucepan and heat gently. Do not allow to boil – it will be the right temperature when you are just about able to bear to dip a finger in it.
- Pour the cream into the bowl containing the egg yolks and sugar, whisking all the time.
- Transfer the combined mixture into a bowl set over a pan of simmering water or, ideally a double-boiler, as you need to reheat it very gently.
- The mixture will gradually thicken until it looks like a custard (which is what it is). Stir regularly to make sure it does not stick while it is thickening.
- Remove the thick custard from the heat and transfer into a bowl.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and then transfer to the fridge to become thoroughly chilled.
- When you are ready to make the ice-cream, transfer to your ice-cream maker and use according to your machine’s instructions. If you do not have an ice-cream maker, you can place the mixture in a freezer-proof container, put in the freezer for several hours until half-frozen. Whisk the mixture and then return to the container and replace in the freezer until totally frozen.
If you want to make a caffeine-free version of this ice cream, you can use decaffeinated coffee granules.
Remove from the freezer ten minutes before serving to ensure that it is easy to scoop.
This ice cream will keep for up to three months in the freezer.
Keywords: ice cream, coffee, home-made