This Creamy Mushroom Pasta with Chestnuts is the perfect week-night supper.
- 25 g butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions
- a handful of dried mushrooms (any kind)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tin of anchovies (optional)
- 485 g fresh mushrooms
- 180 g pack of peeled chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons of double cream
- Fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 350 g pasta
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large frying pan.
- Peel and finely chop the onions and add them to the pan. Crumble the dried mushrooms and add to the pan. Cook over a low heat for around 15 minutes until the onions are sweet and caramelised and the dried mushrooms have softened.
- Peel and crush the cloves of garlic and roughly chop the anchovies. Add to the pan.
- Finely chop half of the fresh mushrooms and slice the other half. This gives some variety in texture to the pasta sauce. Add the fresh mushrooms to the pan.
- Cook for ten minutes until the fresh mushrooms are cooked through.
- Roughly chop the peeled chestnuts into large chunks and add them to the pan.
- Stir in the double cream and heat for a few minutes until the sauce thickens slightly. Chop the parsley and stir into the sauce. Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper as required. You may not need to add salt as the anchovies will add saltiness to the mixture.
- In a separate pan, heat water to boiling point, add the pasta and cook according to instructions on the packet. When done, drain and stir in the mushroom and chestnut sauce.
If you want to make this a vegetarian recipe, you can omit the anchovies. Just make sure that you add a little salt to the sauce to compensate for the loss of their saltiness.
If you want to make this a vegan recipe, you can replace the butter with an additional tablespoon of oil, omit the anchovies and the cream. In order to make the sauce creamy, crush one third of the chestnuts into a paste and stir this into the sauce.
If you want to make this a healthier recipe, replace the butter with an additional tablespoon of oil and omit the cream. As above, crush one third of the chestnuts into a paste and stir this into the sauce.
Keywords: pasta, mushroom, chestnut