This Curried Parsnip Soup is mildly spicy and sweetened with apple. Healthy, easy to make, warming and delicious, it is the perfect winter soup.
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 large onion
- 3 parsnips
- Salt and pepper
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 sweet eating apple
- 1 large potato
- 2 teaspoons of medium curry powder
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- Plain vegan yogurt and turmeric (optional)
- Peel and roughly chop the onions.
- Peel and roughly chop the parsnips.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan and add the chopped vegetables. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook gently over a low heat for around 15 minutes until the vegetables are starting to caramelise.
- Crush the garlic clove. Peel, core and roughly chop the apple. Peel and roughly chop the potato. Add the garlic, apple and potato to the pan.
- Stir in the curry powder and cook for two minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock to the pan and bring to simmering point. Cook gently for 15 minutes.
- Blend the soup in a food processor or by using a hand blender.
- The soup will be quite thick. You can add a little additional water to thin it to your desired consistency.
- When you are ready to serve the soup, reheat it gently and pour into individual bowls. If you wish, you can decorate each bowl with a swirl of plain vegan yogurt and a sprinkle of ground turmeric.
This soup is vegan. If you are not a vegan, you can substitute butter for the vegetable oil and use non-vegan yogurt.
Keywords: parsnip, apple, curried, soup, vegetarian