This home-made Damson Gin liqueur is so easy to make and tastes delicious. Its ruby red colour and sweet-sour flavour makes it the perfect winter drink!
- 500 g (1 lb) fresh damsons
- 250 g (8 oz) caster sugar
- 500 ml (1 pint) gin
- Wash the damsons. Prick them with a fork and then cut them in half without removing the stones.
- Place the damsons in a sterilised jar.
- Add the sugar and gin and shake to mix together. The gin must cover the top of the damsons.
- Put the lid on the jar.
- Keep it in a cool, dark place for four weeks.
- At the end of that time, the gin is ready to drink! Strain the gin into a sterilised bottle through a muslin cloth held in a funnel and discard the fruit.
You can sterilise your jar by washing it in warm, soapy water, rinsing well and then drying off for 15 minutes in an oven set at 140C/120C fan/gas 1.
Although it only takes 15 minutes preparation time, you will need to allow four weeks to allow the flavour to develop before you drink the gin
Keywords: damsons, gin