Rich and gooey Brownies are a great way to get your chocolate fix.
- 375 g salted butter
- 375 g dark chocolate (plus 50 g for decoration)
- 6 eggs
- 500 g golden caster sugar
- 225 g plain flour
- Line a 30 cm x 20 cm brownie pan with foil.
- Set your oven to 180 degrees centigrade or Gas Mark 4.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a heavy-based pan over a very low heat. Stir occasionally and keep an eye on the mixture to make sure it doesn’t burn. When melted, remove the pan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the sugar and stir to combine.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the bowl containing the eggs and sugar.
- Then stir in the flour and combine. You will need to do a bit of efficient stirring at this point to make sure that there are no pockets of flour that have not been incorporated in the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the brownie pan.
- Put the pan in the oven and cook for 25 minutes. It is worth checking after 20 minutes to make sure that the brownies don’t get over-cooked. They will be done when the surface is dry and glossy but the inside is still gooey.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place on a baking rack to cool. Roughly chop the reserved 50 g of chocolate and sprinkle over the top of the brownie mixture. The heat from the mixture will melt the chocolate and then it will harden as the brownie cools.
- Allow the brownie mixture to cool completely before removing it from the pan and cutting into squares.
Keywords: chocolate, brownie, cake, easy