Crispy on the outside, gooey on the inside, these delicious home-made Meringues are the ultimate light summer dessert.
- 4 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 225 g caster sugar
- Set the oven to 140 C/275F or Gas Mark 1.
- Cover two baking sheets with baking parchment. Spread a very thin film of flavourless oil, such as rapeseed oil, on the baking parchment (the best way is to rub it over the parchment with your fingers and then remove the excess with a piece of kitchen towel).
- Whisk the egg whites with the salt until they form soft peaks.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the sugar to the egg whites and whisk again until very stiff and shiny.
- Fold in the rest of the sugar.
- Spoon the mixture onto the baking parchment. You can make your meringues small, medium or large depending on the size spoon you use – teaspoon, dessert spoon or tablespoon.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and bake until they are hard on the outside but still gooey in the middle. This will take between an hour and an hour and a half.
- Remove the meringues from the oven and place on a cooling rack.