This Easy Red Velvet Cake recipe has a strong vanilla flavour combined with a delicate taste of chocolate and is coated with tangy cream cheese icing.
For the cake:
- 115 g slightly salted butter
- 400 g soft brown sugar
- 250 g vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 250 ml buttermilk
- red food colouring (gel gives the best colour)
- 300 g plain flour
- 50 g corn flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
For the icing:
- 450 g cream cheese
- 110 g unsalted butter
- 550 g icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract
- Set your oven to 180 C, 400 F or Gas Mark 4.
- Grease two 9 inch cake tins and line the base of each with a circle of baking parchment,
- Using a food processor, mix the butter and soft brown sugar. Then add the vegetable oil, egg yolks, vanilla extract, vinegar, buttermilk and red food colouring to the mixture.
- Using a sieve, sift in the plain and corn flours, baking soda and cocoa powders.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Then fold them into the cake mixture.
- Put half of the mixture into each greased baking tin and put them in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Make the icing by beating together the cream cheese, unsalted butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract.
- Use the icing to sandwich together the two cakes and then spread it on the top and sides of the assembled cake.
Keywords: red velvet, cake