These scrumptious little cakes, flavoured with elderflower and lemon, are a perfect addition to afternoon tea!
- Set your oven to 200 degrees C/gas mark 6.
- Put your cupcake papers into your cupcake trays.
- Make the cake batter by creaming together the 250 g butter with the 250 g sugar. Add the eggs gradually to ensure the mixture does not curdle. Then add the 250 g self-raising flour.
- Add the grated lemon zest and the 4 tbs of cordial to the mixture and stir to combine.
- Put a dessert spoon of the cake mixture into each of the cupcake papers.
- Put your cupcake trays into the oven and cook for around 15 minutes. The cakes will be done when they are golden brown and springy to the touch.
- Remove the cupcakes from the trays and put on a rack to cool.
- Make the icing by putting the 500g icing sugar, 250 g butter, lemon juice and 3 tbs elderflower cordial in a mixing bowl and beating until they form a pale, smooth icing. Ice the cooled cupcakes and decorate as you wish!
Keywords: elderflower and lemon cake, elderflower cupcakes