This Feta Quiche with Roasted Peppers and Anchovies is an easy lunch or supper recipe which can be made in advance and served hot or cold. You can use salted capers instead of anchovies if you are a vegetarian.
For the pastry:
- 275 g plain flour
- 125 g fat (I use a mix of half butter and half Trex as I think this makes the lightest pastry)
- A little water
For the filling:
- 4 red peppers
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tin anchovies or 1 tablespoon of capers
- 100 g feta cheese
- 100 ml double cream
- 2 eggs
- Set your oven to 180 C, 350 F or Gas Mark 4.
- Make the pastry. Put the flour in a bowl. Add the fat and combine – either by “rubbing in” by hand or processing – until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Add a little cold water (2-3 tbsp) and shape the mixture into a dough.
- Roll out your pastry and use it to line a 25 cm quiche or flan dish. Bake for 15 minutes in the oven to allow the pastry to “set”. This will stop the filling making it soggy and ensure that the base is crisp.
- Next prepare the peppers. Cut them in half lengthwise. Remove the stalks and seeds. Place the pepper halves skin-side up on a grill pan covered in foil.
- Place the pan under a hot grill for around 10 minutes until the peppers are black and charred. Wrap the silver foil that you used to line the pan around the peppers and leave to cool. The foil will form an envelope around the hot peppers and the steam that they give off will help to loosen their charred skins.
- When the peppers are cool enough to handle you should be able to peel off the charred skins.
- Roughly chop the skinned peppers and scatter them over your pastry case. Finely chop the anchovies and crumble the feta cheese and add these to the pastry case as well. If you are vegetarian, or just do not like anchovies, capers are a good substitute.
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the cream, and beat until combined. Pour into the pastry case.
- Place your quiche or flan dish in the oven and cook for 25 minutes.
- This Feta Quiche can be served hot, warm or at room temperature.
Keywords: feta cheese, peppers, anchovies, quiche, tart