These crispy filo triangles, filled with tasty vegetarian fillings, make a great lunch or supper.
Ingredients: Filo Triangles
- 1 packet of filo pastry (270 g or 7 sheets)
- 100 g butter (melted)
Filling: Roasted Butternut Squash, Chilli and Pinenut
- Half a butternut squash
- 1 red onion
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 75 g feta cheese
- Half a fresh red chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed)
- 50 g pinenuts (roasted)
Filling: Feta Cheese and Mixed Herb
- 75 g feta cheese
- 75 g cream cheese
- A large bunch of mixed, fresh herbs to taste (parsley, basil, chives, fennel fronds)
- I spring onion
- Black pepper to taste
Method – Feta Cheese and Mixed Herb filling
- Crumble the feta into a mixing bowl, add the cream cheese and mix thoroughly.
- Finely chop the mixed herbs and spring onion and add to the cheese mixture. Season with black pepper (no need for salt as feta is very salty).
Method – Roasted Butternut Squash, Chilli and Pinenut filling
- Set your oven to 180 C, 350 F or Gas Mark 4.
- Peel your butternut squash and chop into small chunks (around 2 cm). (You will only need half of the squash for the filling but I generally roast it all and serve the other half of the chunks as an accompaniment.) Cut the red onion into quarters leaving the skin on. Put the squash chunks and onion pieces on a baking tray, sprinkle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast the vegetables in the oven for 30 minutes until soft and slightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Roughly mash the butternut squash. Remove the skin from the onion and roughly chop and combine with the butternut squash in a mixing bowl. Crumble the feta cheese into the bowl with the vegetables. Add the finely chopped red chilli, the crushed garlic and the roasted pinenuts.
Method – Assembling the Filo Triangles
- Cut each filo sheet in half lengthways and brush all over with melted butter. Put a spoonful of the filling at one end of the filo strip, and fold into triangles so that it is encased in several layers of filo.
- Put the filled filo triangles on a baking sheet and brush the top of each with melted butter.
- When you have made all your filo triangles, return the baking tray to the oven and cook at 180 C, 350 F or Gas Mark 4 for 25 minutes.
- Remove the filo triangles from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack. They can be eaten hot, warm or at room temperature.
Keywords: filo pastry triangles, butternut squash, feta, chilli