This easy Fish Pie combines fish fillets, prawns and hard boiled egg slices in a creamy white sauce. It is covered with mashed potato and topped with a sprinkle of tangy cheese.
- 900 g (2 lb) fish fillets (cod, haddock, salmon etc)
- 425 ml (3/4 pint) milk
- 1 small onion
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 5 eggs (optional)
- 25 g (1 oz) butter
- 25 g (1 oz) plain flour
- 165 g (6 oz) raw peeled prawns
- 675 g (1 1/2 lb) potatoes
- A little butter and milk
- A little hard cheese (eg cheddar)
- Heat your oven to 180 C, 400 F or Gas Mark 4.
- Put the raw fish fillets into a large oven-proof dish. Pour over the milk. Peel and roughly chop the onion and add this to the dish together with the bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the dish in the oven for 15 minutes until the fish fillets are cooked.
- Remove the dish from the oven. Leave the cooked fish in the dish. If any of the fillets had skin on them, this can now be easily removed. Strain the milk into a measuring jug and set it aside. Discard the onion pieces and bay leaf.
- If you are using eggs, place the raw eggs in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 6 minutes. Remove the eggs from the pan and immediately place them in a pan of cold water to stop the cooking process. When the eggs are cool enough to handle, remove the shells, slice the eggs and place them in the oven-proof dish with the cooked fish.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the flour and stir to combine. Cook gently for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and gradually add the milk in which the fish was cooked. Then return the pan to the heat and simmer until the sauce starts to thicken. This will take around 5 minutes.
- Put the raw prawns into the saucepan of sauce and cook for 3 minutes until they turn pink.
- Pour the sauce containing the prawns over the cooked fish and egg slices.
- Make the topping by peeling the potatoes and chopping into large chunks. Put the potato pieces into a saucepan of cold water with a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 25 minutes. Drain the cooked potatoes and mash them with a knob of butter and a little milk.
- Spread the mashed potatoes over the fish mixture. Top with a few small knobs of butter and a little grated cheese.
- Put the pie in the oven and cook for 15 minutes until the top is golden brown. If you assemble the pie in advance, you will need to re-heat it for around 30 minutes from room temperature.
Keywords: fish, pie