This cooling Gooseberry and Elderflower Sorbet is sweet and refreshing on a hot summer’s day.
Ingredients: For the Muscat Syrup
- 250 g green gooseberries
- 250 g caster sugar
- 4 tbs water
- 4 elderflower blooms
Ingredients: To make the Muscat Syrup into Gooseberry and Elderflower Sorbet
- For 600 ml of Syrup, an additional 200 ml of water (that is, add one third quantity of water to syrup)
- Juice of half a lemon
Method – Muscat Syrup
- Put the gooseberries in a saucepan – there is no need to “top and tail” them. Add the sugar and water and cook over a low heat until the gooseberries are soft.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the elderflower blooms.
- Allow the syrup to cool. The flavour of the elderflower blooms will diffuse into the syrup.
- When cool, strain the syrup through a sieve into a jug or bowl.
Method – To make the Muscat Syrup into Gooseberry and Elderflower Sorbet
- Dilute the syrup with water – one third water to two thirds syrup.
- Add juice of half a lemon.
- Transfer the sorbet mixture to the fridge to become thoroughly chilled.
- When you are ready to make the sorbet, transfer to your ice-cream maker and use according to your machine’s instructions. If you do not have an ice-cream maker, you can place the mixture in a freezer-proof container, put in the freezer for several hours until half-frozen. Whisk the mixture and then return to the container and replace in the freezer until totally frozen.
Keywords: gooseberry and elderflower sorbet, gooseberry, elderflower, sorbet