These crumbly shortbread biscuits, delicately flavoured with lavender, are fantastic as an accompaniment to ice-cream or sorbet – or just with a cup of tea!
- 125 g butter
- 55 g sugar
- 100 g plain flour
- 20 g cornflour
- 60 g ground almonds
- 4 fresh lavender buds (or 2 tablespoons culinary lavender)
- Set your oven to 200 C/400 F/Gas Mark 6.
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the flour, cornflour and ground almonds and combine.
- Detach the small lavender flowers from their stalks and add them to the mixture.
- Roll out the shortbread dough to a thickness of approximately 0.5 cm.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes from the dough.
- Put the dough shapes onto a greased baking tray.
- Bake the shortbread dough shapes for 15 minutes. They will be done when they are firm to the touch and light golden in colour.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack.
If you are using fresh lavender buds, make sure that they have not been treated with any chemicals. Do not use shop-bought flowers unless they are specifically designated as “culinary lavender”.
Keywords: lavender, shortbread, lavender shortbread, lavender biscuits, lavender hearts, lavender cookies