Crisp, buttery and zesty, these Lemon Biscuits make a fantastic accompaniment to ice-cream or sorbet but are also great with a cup of tea!
- 225 g (8 oz) butter
- 85 g (3 oz) caster sugar
- 275 g (9.5 oz) plain flour
- 25 g (1 oz) ground almonds
- Zest of one lemon
- 200 g (7 oz) icing sugar (optional)
- Set your oven to 200 degrees C/gas mark 6.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Add the flour, ground almonds and lemon zest and combine to form a soft dough.
- Gently roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut into shapes using a cookie cutter. I tend to make them either heart-shaped or round or any shape you like!
- Place the dough shapes on a lightly floured baking tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes until firm and golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking tray for five minutes or so.
- If you wish, once the biscuits are completely cooled, mix the juice of half a lemon with the icing sugar to make a simple icing and drizzle it over them. Alternatively, you could just sprinkle each biscuit with a little caster sugar while it is still warm.
- Transfer the biscuits to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
Keywords: lemon biscuits