This easy Lemon Chicken with Olives and warm spices is the perfect simple supper recipe.
- 2 onions
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- Pinch of saffron
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
- 1 kilo free-range chicken legs and thighs
- A handful of green olives
- Juice of one lemon
- If using oven, set to 180 C, 350 F or Gas Mark 4 (see point 6)
- Peel and chop the onions.
- Heat the olive oil in your casserole and add the chopped onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook gently for around 10 minutes until the onions have softened.
- Add the crushed garlic cloves, saffron, ginger and cinnamon to the onions. Then add the chicken pieces.
- Add sufficient water to almost cover the chicken pieces and bring to the boil.
- You can now either transfer the casserole to your oven or cover it and continue to allow it to simmer gently on the top of your stove. In either case, the chicken will be cooked in 30 minutes.
- Then remove the chicken pieces from the casserole and place in another bowl. Remove the lid from your casserole and add the lemon juice and olives. Simmer uncovered on the top of your stove until the liquid has reduced to half its volume. This will take around 15 minutes. It will have thickened slightly and will taste rich and tangy.
- Put the chicken pieces back into the casserole and reheat.
Keywords: stew, chicken, Moroccan, lemon, olives