This Marmalade Bread and Butter Pudding, containing fresh orange zest and orange liqueur, is a citrus twist on a traditional English recipe.
- 4 thin slices of white or brown bread
- 3 teaspoons of orange liqueur (optional)
- Zest of one orange
- 500 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 25 g soft dark brown sugar plus a little more to sprinkle on top
Set your oven to 180 C, 350 F or Gas Mark 4.
- Butter an oven-proof dish.
- Butter your slices of bread and spread with marmalade. Place in the buttered oven-proof dish.
- If you wish, sprinkle each slice with a little orange liqueur.
- Grate the orange zest over the bread slices.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs and 25 g brown sugar. Whisk until combined and then pour over the bread slices. Sprinkle a little more brown sugar on top of the mixture.
- If possible, leave for around 15 minutes so that the bread absorbs some of the milky mixture.
- Place the oven-proof dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes until the custard is set and the top is golden and crispy.
Keywords: bread and butter, pudding, bread pudding, marmalade, osborne