This mild and velvety Onion Soup, gently flavoured with sage, is easy to make and is the perfect comfort food.
- 75 g (3 oz) butter or oil
- 5 large onions
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage
- Salt and Pepper
- 50 g (2 oz) plain flour
- 600 ml (1 pint) vegetable stock
- 300 ml (Half a pint) of milk, vegetable stock or water
- Heat the butter or oil in a heavy-based pan.
- Peel and slice the onions. Add to the pan with the sage, season with salt and pepper and cook slowly for twenty minutes until they are soft and sweet.
- Add the flour and cook for a further two minutes.
- Add the 500 ml of vegetable stock and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Blend the soup until smooth using a hand blender or food processor.
- Add up to 300 ml of milk, vegetable stock or water to thin the soup to your desired consistency.
Keywords: soup, onion soup, onion, vegetarian