This easy Plum Crumble recipe is made from fresh plums, flavoured with vanilla and star anise, with a crisp, buttery topping.
- 1 kilo (2 lb) of fresh plums
- 4 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of ground star anise or 2 whole star anise pods
- 350 g (12 oz) plain flour
- 175 g (6 oz) butter or vegetable fat
- 175 g (6 oz) caster sugar
- Flaked almonds
- Set your oven to 180 C, 400 F or Gas Mark 4.
- Wash your plums. Cut each one in half and remove the stone. Cut each of your plum halves into approximately three or four pieces.
- Put the chopped plums in a baking dish (20 cm x 28 cm). Sprinkle with the brown sugar.
- Add the vanilla extract and star anise to the plums. If you are using ground star anise sprinkle it over the plums. If you are using whole star anise seedpods add them to the dish. You will get a milder flavour if you are using the whole seedpods. You will also need to let people know that they are there!
- Next make the crumble topping. Put the flour and butter (or vegetable fat) in a bowl and “rub in” using your fingers, or use a food processor, until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Then stir in the caster sugar.
- Pour the crumble topping on top of the rhubarb.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and cook for 35 minutes.
- If you wish, you can sprinkle some flaked almonds on top of the crumble for the final 5 minutes that it is in the oven. They should get brown and toasted (but not burnt) if they are added at this stage.
Keywords: crumble, crisp, plums,