This quick and easy Rhubarb Crumble Cake is filled with juicy fruit and has a delicious crunchy topping.
For the rhubarb:
- 1 stem of fresh rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons of caster sugar
For the cake:
- 125 g butter
- 175 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 4 tablespoons of milk
- Vanilla extract
For the crumble topping:
- 25 g butter
- 40 g flour
- 25 g sugar
- Set your oven to 180 degrees centigrade or Gas Mark 4.
- Cover a baking tray with foil. Cut the rhubarb stem into small pieces (approximately 1 cm) and spread the pieces out on the tray. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of caster sugar.
- Put the rhubarb in the oven and roast for 15 minutes. When done, remove and set aside to cool. You can taste a piece of the rhubarb and add a little more sugar if you think this is needed.
- Grease a 450 g loaf tin and line the bottom with baking parchment.
- Cream the butter with the sugar. (I usually soften the butter for about 30 seconds in the microwave first as it makes it much easier.)
- Gradually add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture. If it looks as if it is going to curdle, add some of the self-raising flour.
- Once the eggs have been incorporated add the rest of the self-raising flour.
- Add the milk and vanilla extract.
- Finally, stir in the roasted rhubarb pieces.
- Spoon the cake mixture into your prepared loaf tin.
- Make the crumble topping by rubbing the butter and flour together by hand or in a food processor until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Then stir in the sugar. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the cake mixture.
- Put the tin in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
Keywords: rhubarb, cake, loaf cake, rhubarb cake