This tangy Rhubarb Jam, flavoured with vanilla, is delicious and very easy to make.
- 600 g rhubarb
- 600 g jam sugar (with added pectin)
- 1 vanilla pod
- Wash your rhubarb and cut into 2 cm pieces.
- Put the pieces into your saucepan along with the sugar.
- Cook on a low heat so that the fruit releases its juices and the sugar dissolves. Add the vanilla pod.
- Turn up the heat so that the mixture is bubbling and cook for around 15 minutes. By this time, it should be thickened.
- Sterilise your jam-jar and then pour the jam mixture into it. Allow to cool and then cover with a lid.
You can sterilise your jam jar by washing in warm, soapy water and then rinsing well and allowing to dry off for 15 minutes in an oven set to 140C/120C fan/gas 1.
This jam will keep for six months if the jar is kept unopened. Once you have opened the jar, keep it in the fridge and eat the jam within a month.
Keywords: rhubarb, jam