Crisp on the top, soft and creamy underneath, and flavoured with garlic and thyme, these potatoes are fantastic with roast meat or grilled fish.
- 1 kilo potatoes
- Sprig of thyme
- 1 clove of garlic
- 500 ml milk
- Salt and pepper
- Set your oven to 180 C, 350 F or Gas Mark 4.
- Butter the oven-proof dish
- Peel and slice the potatoes thinly into disks
- Put a layer of potato disks in the dish. Dot with knobs of butter. Season with salt and pepper – it is really important to season every layer. Sprinkle with a few thyme leaves and a little crushed garlic. I prefer this dish to have a whisper of garlic so only use one clove throughout but feel free to increase the amount of garlic if you like!
- Repeat step 3 until the dish is filled.
- Pour the milk into the dish.
- Put the dish into your oven and cook for around 1 hour. At the end of this time, the potatoes should be soft, and most of the milk should have been absorbed, and the top should be crisp and golden.
Keywords: dauphinoise potatoes, garlic potatoes