This is a very simple vegan salad which showcases the rich, sweet taste of roasted peppers.
- 6 red,orange or yellow peppers
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Juice from half a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Small bunch of fresh parsley
- Cut the peppers in half lengthwise. Remove the stalks and seeds.
- Place the pepper halves skin-side up on a grill pan covered in foil.
- Place the pan under a hot grill for around 10 minutes until the peppers are black and charred.
- Wrap the silver foil that you used to line the pan around the peppers and leave to cool. The foil will form an envelope around the hot peppers and the steam that they give off will help to loosen their charred skins.
- When the peppers are cool enough to handle you should be able to peel off the charred skins.
- Roughly chop the skinned peppers and place in a bowl.
- Add the crushed garlic clove, olive oil and lemon juice to the peppers. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Chop the fresh parsley and sprinkle over the peppers.
Good things to add to this salad include pinenuts, capers, olives, anchovies, salty cheese such as feta.
You can serve this salad hot, warm, room-temperature or cold.
You can make this salad a day ahead. It will also keep in the fridge for several days.
Keywords: peppers, salad, vegan