This is a show-stopping cake which brings together the English summer tastes of strawberry and rose together with cream and buttery sponge.
For the cake:
- 450 g butter (softened)
- 450 g caster sugar
- 8 eggs
- 450 g self-raising flour
- 7 tablespoons of milk
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon of rosewater
For the sandwich filling:
- Either 4 tablespoons of Strawberry and Rose Geranium Jam or 4 tablespoons of strawberry jam plus a few drops of rosewater
- 300 ml double cream
For the topping
- 2 table spoons of icing sugar
- Crystallised Rose Petals to decorate
- Set your oven to 180 degrees centigrade or Gas Mark 4.
- Cream the butter with the sugar. (I usually soften the butter for about 30 seconds in the microwave first as it makes it much easier!)
- Gradually add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture. If it looks as if it is going to curdle, add some of the self-raising flour.
- Once the eggs have been incorporated add the rest of the self-raising flour.
- Add the milk, vanilla extract and rosewater.
- Grease your Victoria Sandwich tins or containers and then add the cake mixture.
- Bake your cakes in the oven for around 35 minutes. They are done when they are golden brown, springy to the touch and have shrunk away from the edge of the tin. You can test this by inserting a skewer in the middle of the cake – if it comes out cleanly with no mixture attached, your cake is done.
- Allow your cakes to cool on a rack before removing them from the tins or containers.
Method: Filling and topping
- Spread the rose-flavoured strawberry jam over the top of one of your cakes.
- Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. Spread it on top of the jam. Then place the other cake on top.
- Put the icing sugar in a sieve and sift it over the top of the assembled cake.
- Decorate the cake with Crystallised Rose Petals.
- In the (unlikely) event that there is any cake left over, this needs to be stored in the fridge due to the cream icing. It will keep for a couple of days but, like all sponge cakes, it tastes better when it is freshly made.
Keywords: rose and strawberry cake, victoria sandwich, cream