These pretty pink meringues are flavoured with rose and accompanied by fresh raspberries and whipped cream.
- 4 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons rosewater
- A little pink food colouring (optional)
- 225 g caster sugar
- Set the oven to 140 C/275F or Gas Mark 1.
- Cover two baking sheets with baking parchment. Spread a very thin film of flavourless oil, such as rapeseed oil, on the baking parchment (the best way is to rub it over the parchment with your fingers and then remove the excess with a piece of kitchen towel).
- Whisk the egg whites with the salt until they form soft peaks.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the sugar, 2 teaspoons of rosewater and a little food colouring (if using) to the egg whites and whisk again until very stiff and shiny.
- Fold in the rest of the sugar.
- Spoon the mixture onto the baking parchment. You can make your meringues small, medium or large depending on the size spoon you use – teaspoon, dessert spoon or tablespoon.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and bake until they are hard on the outside but still gooey in the middle. This will take between an hour and an hour and a half.
Keywords: meringue, rose