This Shallot Tart with Thyme and Anchovy makes an easy and very tasty lunch or supper. The combination of crisp buttery pastry, sweet shallots, fragrant thyme and salty anchovy is superb!
500 g pack of ready-made puff pastry (get one made with butter if you can)
A little plain flour
A few sprigs of thyme
1 tin of anchovies
400 g of shallots
150 g of mascarpone
- Set your oven to 180 C, 350 F or Gas Mark 4.
- Lightly dust your oven tray with flour.
- Roll out the puff pasty into a large rectangle and place on your oven tray.
- Remove the skins from your shallots. The easiest way of doing this is to put them in a small saucepan, cover with boiling water and leave for 3 minutes. Then drain off the water and the skins will be easy to remove.
- Cut each peeled shallot in half. Place shallots in a small frying pan with a little butter and cook very gently until golden and softened. This should take around 10 minutes.
- Spread the mascarpone over the puff pastry.
- Sprinkle with thyme leaves and small pieces of anchovy. Then add the cooked shallots.
- Place the tart in the oven and cook for 20 minutes until the pastry is crispy and golden.
- The tart can be eaten hot, warm or at room temperature. I like it best hot.
Keywords: shallot tart, thyme, anchovy