This quick and easy Spiced Sweet Potato Soup is filled with Moroccan flavours. Its rich, orange colour and savoury taste will warm you up on a cold winter’s day.
- 25 g butter or 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 large onion
- 4 sweet potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- Half a teaspoon of cayenne (optional)
- 500 ml of vegetable stock
- A little yogurt and dukkah to decorate (optional)
Peel and roughly chop the onions.
Peel and roughly chop the sweet potatoes.
Heat the butter or oil in a heavy-based pan and add the chopped vegetables. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook gently over a low heat for around 15 minutes until the vegetables are starting to caramelise.
- Add the cumin, cinnamon, turmeric to the vegetables. If you want the soup to have a bit of chilli heat, you can also add the cayenne at this point. Cook for a further two minutes.
Add the vegetable stock to the pan and bring to simmering point. Cook gently for 15 minutes.
Blend the soup in a food processor or by using a hand blender.
The soup will be quite thick. You can add a little additional water to thin it to your desired consistency.
- When you are ready to serve the soup, reheat it gently and pour into individual bowls. If you wish, you can decorate each bowl with a swirl of plain yogurt and a sprinkle of dukkah.
This soup is vegetarian but can easily made vegan by using vegetable oil instead of butter and omitting the yogurt.
If you do not have any sweet potatoes, you can use butternut squash or pumpkin to make this soup.
Keywords: soup, sweet potatoes, spices, Moroccan, vegetarian