This quick and easy St Clement’s Cake is flavoured with zesty fresh orange and lemon.
- 125 g butter
- 175 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 4 tablespoons of milk
- 1 lemon and 1 orange (both unwaxed and washed)
- 200 g icing sugar
- Set your oven to 180 degrees centigrade or Gas Mark 4.
- Grease a 450 g loaf tin and line the bottom with baking parchment.
- Cream the butter with the sugar. (I usually soften the butter for about 30 seconds in the microwave first as it makes it much easier.)
- Gradually add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture. If it looks as if it is going to curdle, add some of the self-raising flour.
- Once the eggs have been incorporated add the rest of the self-raising flour.
- Add the milk and the grated zest of your lemon and orange.
- Spoon the cake mixture into your prepared loaf tin.
- Put the tin in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, put the juice from your orange and your lemon in a small saucepan. Heat gently with the lid off until the liquid is reduced by half. Then add the icing sugar to form a thick syrup.
- Remove the cake from the oven and immediately pour the syrup over the top.
- Leave the cake in the tin to cool completely before removing. If you try and take it out while it is still warm it may fall apart as it will be very moist due to the syrup.
Keywords: cake, orange, lemon, loaf cake, St Clement's