This easy Sweetcorn Chowder is a hearty vegetarian soup. The sweetness of the corn is balanced by smoked paprika and cayenne. Serve with sour cream and chopped chives for extra flavour.
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- Half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 3 medium-sized potatoes
- 4 sweetcorn cobs
- 700 ml vegetable stock
- A little milk or water
- Salt and pepper
- Sour cream and chives to serve
- Peel and roughly chop the onion.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan and add the chopped onion. Cook gently over a low heat for around 10 minutes until it is soft and golden.
- Peel and crush the garlic cloves and add them to the pan together with the smoked paprika and cayenne pepper. Cook for two minutes.
- Peel and roughly chop the potatoes.
- Using a sharp knife, remove the corn kernels from the cobs.
- Add the chopped potatoes and corn kernels to the pan.
- Add the vegetable stock to the pan and bring to simmering point. Cook gently for 20 minutes.
- Blend the soup in a food processor or by using a hand blender.
- At this stage you can add a little milk or water to thin the soup to your desired consistency. I tend to keep it quite thick and hearty.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- When you serve the soup you can add a teaspoon of sour cream and some chopped chives to each bowl.
Keywords: sweetcorn, chowder, soup,