This quick and easy Tomato Sauce recipe, made from store-cupboard ingredients, is fantastic with pasta and is at the basis for a wide range of other sauces.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tins of tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- A little sugar (optional)
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan or deep frying pan.
- Peel and finely chop the onions and add to the pan.
- Fry the onions over a very low heat until soft and caramelised. This will take about 15 minutes.
- Peel and crush the garlic cloves and add them to the pan.
- Add the tomatoes and the bay leaf.
- Simmer uncovered until the sauce is rich and thick. This will take about 15 minutes.
- Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper. You can add a little sugar (half a teaspoon) if you feel the sauce needs to be sweetened.
Keywords: tomato, sauce, easy