In this vegan soup, the sweetness of the Butternut Squash is balanced by warming chilli and rich peanut butter.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 1 butternut squash
- Salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- Half teaspoon of dried chilli flakes
- 1 litre water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan
- Peel and chop the onion and the butternut squash. Add the vegetables to the pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook very gently for around 30 minutes until the vegetables are soft and sweet. Slow cooking caramelises the natural sugars in the vegetables and greatly improves the flavour of the soup.
- Peel and crush the garlic cloves and add them to vegetables together with the chilli flakes. Cook for a further five minutes.
- Add the water and vegetable bouillon powder to the pan containing the squash and onion. Gently simmer for around 15 minutes.
- Blend the soup until it is smooth using a food processor or hand-held blender.
- Add the peanut butter to the soup and gently re-heat.
Keywords: vegan, butternut squash, peanut butter