In this vegan soup, the sweetness of the Butternut Squash is balanced by warming chilli and rich peanut butter.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 1 butternut squash
- Salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- Half teaspoon of dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 litre (2 pints) water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- A little coconut cream and a few peanuts to decorate (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan
- Peel and chop the onion and the butternut squash. Add the vegetables to the pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook very gently for around 30 minutes until the vegetables are soft and sweet. Slow cooking caramelises the natural sugars in the vegetables and greatly improves the flavour of the soup.
- Peel and crush the garlic cloves and add them to vegetables together with the chilli flakes. Cook for a further five minutes.
- Add the water and vegetable bouillon powder to the pan containing the squash and onion. Gently simmer for around 15 minutes.
- Blend the soup until it is smooth using a food processor or hand-held blender.
- Add the peanut butter to the soup and gently re-heat.
- If you wish, you can add a little coconut cream and a sprinkle of peanuts to each serving.
Keywords: vegan, butternut squash, peanut butter