This quick and easy Vegetarian Stuffing recipe combines the sweet creaminess of chestnuts with onions, crunchy roasted pecans and fruity dried cranberries.
- 50 g (2 oz) butter or 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 onion
- 180 g (6 oz) vacuum-packed peeled chestnuts
- 50 g (2 oz) shelled pecans
- 50 g (2 oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 50 g (2 oz) dried cranberries
- Salt and pepper
- Grated nutmeg
- 1 egg (optional)
- Set your oven to 200 C/180F/Gas Mark 6
- Peel and chop the onion. Put the onion and butter or oil in a frying pan and fry for 10 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Process half (90g) of the chestnuts for a few minutes in a food processor or blender to form a puree. Roughly chop the remaining chestnuts.
- Put the pecans in a frying pan and dry fry (with no oil or butter) for 5 minutes until they are darker brown and toasted. Roughly chop the pecans.
- In a large bowl combine the fried onions, chestnut puree, chopped chestnuts, chopped pecans, breadcrumbs and cranberries.
- Season to taste with grated nutmeg and salt and pepper.
- You can add an egg to the mixture to make it easier to combine.
- Take a dessert spoon of the mixture and squeeze it in your hands to make a ball. Place on a baking tray. Repeat until all the mixture has been used.
- Put the tray in the pre-heated oven and cook the stuffing balls for 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe is vegetarian but can be made vegan if oil is substituted for butter and the egg is omitted.
These stuffing balls are actually very nice cold either as a snack or as an accompaniment to a cold meal.
Keywords: stuffing, vegetarian stuffing, chestnut stuffing, Christmas