Easy and versatile. Quick and sustaining. Herby Baked Eggs with Cheese is a go-to recipe for a luxurious breakfast or an after-work supper.
For each serving:
- A little melted butter or oil
- 25 g of hard cheese such as mature cheddar
- A small bunch of chives
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons of double cream (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
For each serving you will need a small ramekin or oven-proof bowl.
- Set your oven to 200 C or Gas Mark 6.
- Lightly grease the inside of each of your ramekin with melted butter or oil.
- Grate the cheese and put it in the bottom of the ramekin.
- Chop the chives and scatter half of them over the cheese.
- Break the eggs into the ramekin.
- Spoon the double cream over the eggs. Using the cream makes the dish taste richer but you can leave it out if you want a lighter and healthier meal.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the ramekin on a baking tray and put in the oven. Bake until the whites are set. Baking times will vary according to your oven and how you like your eggs. It is a good idea to check every now and then the first time that you cook them. In my oven, it takes 12 minutes for runny yolks, 15 minutes for soft cooked yolks and 20 for hard yolks.
- Remove the ramekin from the oven. Scatter the rest of the chopped chives over the top.
- Serve immediately with some crusty bread if you want to make it a bit more substantial.
- You can make this recipe with different cheese and herb combinations. I also like mozarella and basil, goat’s cheese and dill, ricotta and thyme, blue cheese and chervil but there are lots of possibilities and it is fun to experiment!
Keywords: eggs, baked eggs, herbs, chives, cheese