These Baked Eggs with Cheese are so easy to make
If you are looking for easy, nutritious comfort food which can be whipped up quickly for breakfast, lunch or supper, then look no further than these Baked Eggs with Cheese. I think that this recipe is a brilliant example of the miraculous transformation that you can achieve by cooking familiar ingredients in a slightly different way. Somehow, oven-baking makes two eggs and a bit of cheese into a sustaining and filling dish which is also a bit of a treat. It is absolutely what I want to eat on a lazy weekend morning, particularly after a late night, or when I get home exhausted after a day at work.
Baked Eggs with Cheese is also one of those versatile, flexible dishes which it is always handy to know. They are a vegetarian but fall into the “vegetarian-by-stealth” category in that that non-vegetarians do not seem to notice the lack of meat. Also, you can make as many portions as you need according to how many people you need to feed. So you can have a meal-for-one or a meal for ten (or more!) according to your requirements.
- Easy Shortbread Recipe
- Cranberry Gin
- Beetroot Soup with Coconut
- Leek and Potato Soup with Fresh Chives
- Blackberry Gin
Variations on Baked Eggs with Cheese
This recipe is perfect for adaptation according to your particular taste preferences and available ingredients. I love recipes like this as I enjoy experimenting with different flavour combinations. The basic recipe uses eggs, cheese and herbs. In this version, I use cheddar and chives but there are so many other cheese and herb combinations that you could try. Other good combinations are:
- mozzarella and basil
- goat’s cheese and dill
- ricotta and thyme
- feta and oregano
- blue cheese and chervil
Other easy Cheese recipes
I love eating cheese just as it is. I will eat a few cubes with a glass of wine or put a slice or two in a sandwich or on top of a cracker. I also think it is a fantastic cooking ingredient. What better than savoury, melted gooey cheese to add that extra dimension of comforting deliciousness to your savoury snack or simple supper recipes?
In addition to this recipe for Baked Eggs, here are some of my other favourite cheesy recipes.
- Cheese Biscuits with Chilli – these crisp savoury biscuits (cookies) are easy to make and easy to eat!
- Cheese Muffins with Chilli Jam – easy savoury muffins given a punch of flavour from sweet chilli jam are great on their own or as an accompaniment to home-made soup
- Marinated Feta with Chilli, Garlic and Herbs – an easy, make-ahead snack recipe
- Feta Quiche with Roasted Peppers – an easy quiche combining salty feta with sweet roasted peppers
- Filo Triangles with Feta Cheese and Mixed Herb filling – crisp filo triangles filled with a herby feta filling
- Macaroni Cheese – a luxurious twist on a classic supper dish this recipe contains a layer of caramelised onions and is topped with crispy breadcrumbs and melted cheese
Other easy snack recipes
I love savoury snacks. Whether I am box-set watching in front of the television or having a party, my evening is not complete without them. I will sometimes open a packet of crisps or a jar of olives. However, if I am thinking ahead, I will try and make some home-made nibbles.
Making your own snacks is often healthier and cheaper than buying ready-made snacks. They are also really delicious. I try and keep them fairly healthy, without compromising on taste. Therefore, I aim to keep them relatively low fat and with low salt levels compared to shop-bought snacks.
All my snack recipes can be made in advance and most of them will store for a few days. If you are a big fan of cheese, like me, you might like my crisp Cheese Biscuits or my Marinated Feta Cheese. My Moroccan-style Dukkah is a seed mix which can be eaten as a snack or sprinkled on hummus or salads. Most of my snack recipes are vegetarian. However, I have a few others such as my quick and easy Smoked Salmon pate recipe.
Loved this recipe? Checkout the Recipe Index.
Recipe for Baked Eggs with CheesePrint
Easy and versatile. Quick and sustaining. Herby Baked Eggs with Cheese is a go-to recipe for a luxurious breakfast or an after-work supper.
For each serving:
- A little melted butter or oil
- 25 g (1 oz) of cheese such as mature cheddar
- A small bunch of chives
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons of double cream (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
For each serving you will need a small ramekin or oven-proof bowl.
- Set your oven to 200 C or Gas Mark 6.
- Lightly grease the inside of each of your ramekin with melted butter or oil.
- Grate the cheese and put it in the bottom of the ramekin.
- Chop the chives and scatter half of them over the cheese.
- Break the eggs into the ramekin.
- Spoon the double cream over the eggs. Using the cream makes the dish taste richer but you can leave it out if you want a lighter and healthier meal.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the ramekin on a baking tray and put in the oven. Bake until the whites are set. Baking times will vary according to your oven and how you like your eggs. It is a good idea to check every now and then the first time that you cook them. In my oven, it takes 12 minutes for runny yolks, 15 minutes for soft cooked yolks and 20 for hard yolks.
- Remove the ramekin from the oven. Scatter the rest of the chopped chives over the top.
- Serve immediately with some crusty bread if you want to make it a bit more substantial.
- You can make this recipe with different cheese and herb combinations. I also like mozarella and basil, goat’s cheese and dill, ricotta and thyme, blue cheese and chervil but there are lots of possibilities and it is fun to experiment!
Keywords: eggs, baked eggs, herbs, chives, cheese