Leek and Potato Soup with Fresh Chives
This is a lovely, simple soup which showcases the taste of leeks, a much undereated vegetable. There are two keys to making it special. Firstly, you must cook the leeks and onions slowly to allow them to sweeten and soften. Secondly, you must use a good quality, flavoursome stock. I generally use vegetable stock as my daughter is a vegetarian – Bouillon gives an excellent flavour.
Other easy vegetarian soup recipes
I have lots of easy, vegetarian soup recipes. If you like this Leek and Potato Soup you might like some of the others. All my soups are vegetarian and all can be made vegan by substituting animal fats, such as butter, for vegetable fats. Some of them are pretty simple such as Nettle Soup, Fennel Soup, Jerusalem Artichoke Soup or Sweetcorn Chowder and showcase a single vegetable. Others combine vegetables which have complimentary flavours such as Curried Parsnip and Apple Soup, Moroccan Spiced Sweet Potato Soup, Celeriac and Apple Soup, Mushroom and Chestnut Soup, Pumpkin and Sweetcorn Soup or Leek and Potato Soup. A few have more unusual combinations of flavours such as Beetroot Soup with Coconut or Butternut and Peanut Butter Soup. I also have a few chilled soup recipes, which are fantastic cold in the summer, but can also be served warm such as Asparagus and Pea and Tomato.
A large, heavy saucepan and a blender (or stick blender).Print
This is a really easy soup which can be eaten either hot or cold. Although it uses relatively cheap ingredients, the soup is elegant and flavourful and is not out of place as a first course at a dinner party.
- 4 leeks
- 2 onions (I use white onions to keep the colour of the final soup pale)
- 2 large potatoes (about 500 g)
- 50 g butter
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 litre stock (good quality chicken stock or vegetable stock)
- A bunch of fresh chives
- A little double cream (optional)
- Wash the leeks, trim off the dark top parts of the leaves and chop the stalks roughly. Peel and chop the onions.
- Heat the butter and the oil in your saucepan. Add the chopped leeks and onions, season them with salt and pepper, and very gently fry them for around 20 minutes until they are soft and sweet. It is really important to add seasoning at this point and to cook gently to bring out the flavour of the vegetables – it will make a huge difference to the taste of your soup.
- Next, peel and chop the potatoes and add them to the saucepan with the leeks and onions. Cook gently for a few minutes.
- Add the stock to your saucepan and simmer the vegetables gently for about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow the soup to cool slightly before blending.
This soup can be eaten either hot or cold.
Keywords: leek potato soup