Easy Pumpkin Soup with Sweetcorn and Thyme
This Easy Pumpkin Soup brings together the natural sweetness of pumpkins, squash or sweet potatoes with sweetcorn. I have flavoured it with fresh thyme, which combines well with all the main ingredients, and have resisted the urge to add chilli. When I first made it, I thought that maybe it would be too sweet and might a bit of chilli heat. However, I tasted it before I added any chilli and decided that it was pretty good as it was. It has a thick, rich sweetness – a culinary equivalent of being wrapped in a warm blanked – which I think is perfect in autumn when the days are getting colder.
Choose your squash!
This soup can be made either with pumpkins, when they are in season, but is just as good using other squashes (such as butternut squash) or with sweet potatoes. What you need is a main ingredient that has a natural, starchy sweetness which is enhanced by slow cooking. As you will see from the recipe, I also add a regular potato to the soup. I tend to do this with most of my soups as it adds a natural thickness and body to the soup.
How to separate corn kernels from the cob – a guide for the terrified..
I also use fresh sweetcorn in this soup. The first time I came across a recipe that involved taking the kernels off the corn cob I thought it would be hard to do. However, it is really straightforward if you stick to the following process. 1) Get a sharp knife 2) Cut off the thicker end of the cob so that you have a flat base 3) Stand the cob vertically on its flat base and cut downwards with your knife to separate the kernels from the cob 4) Work around the cob until all the kernels have been removed.
The wonderful world of home-made soups..
I think making soup is an absolute no-brainer. Not only is it tastier than anything you can buy in a store, you also know exactly what goes into it and can adjust it to suit your own tastes. Making soup is also really easy and you can make it in advance and keep in the fridge or freeze it. If you like this Easy Pumpkin Soup recipe, you might like some of my other soup recipes such as Mushroom and Chestnut Soup, Fennel Soup, Celeriac and Apple Soup, Beetroot Soup with Coconut or Butternut Squash and Peanut Butter Soup. All are vegetarian and most can easily be made vegan by swapping out butter for vegetable fat.
Easy Pumpkin Soup with Sweetcorn and ThymePrint
This Pumpkin Soup with Sweetcorn and Thyme is thick, savoury and warming – the culinary equivalent of a hug!
- 2 onions
- 1 small pumpkin or squash or 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 large potato
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 sweetcorn cobs
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 2 pints of vegetable stock
- 1 large sprig of fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and roughly chop the onions.
- Peel and roughly chop the pumpkin, squash or sweet potatoes.
- Peel and roughly chop the potato.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan and add the chopped vegetables. Cook gently over a low heat for around 10 minutes until the vegetables are starting to caramelise.
- Using a sharp knife, remove the corn kernels from the cobs.
- Add the corn kernels and the crushed garlic cloves to the pan together with the paprika.
- Add the vegetable stock to the pan and bring to simmering point. Cook gently for 20 minutes.
- Separate the fresh thyme leaves from their stalk and add them to the soup.
- Blend the soup in a food processor or by using a hand blender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Keywords: pumpkin, sweetcorn, soup