Vegan Beetroot Soup with Coconut
I love beetroot! I love the sweet, earthy taste of roasted beetroot and the fantastic rich carmine pink colour that it brings to every dish in which it is included. The flavour is autumn on a plate and the colour cheers me up as days are getting cooler and I know winter is on its way.
My vegan Beetroot Soup includes the gentle heat and lemony flavour of fresh ginger and the creamy richness of coconut to enhance the earthy, root-vegetable deliciousness. Although the ingredients are simple, and it is a really easy soup to make, it does taste quite subtle and sophisticated. It is great for a simple autumn lunch or supper but is not out of place as a starter at a dinner party.
This soup freezes very well so you can make a batch and keep it for when you need a quick beetroot fix!
Vegan Beetroot Soup with CoconutPrint
This autumnal vegan soup combines the earthy sweetness of beetroot with the gentle heat of fresh ginger and the the creaminess of creamed coconut.
- 6 small beetroot (around 350 g in total)
- 25 g butter and 1 teaspoon oil (or 2 tsp if vegan)
- 1 onion
- Salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cm of fresh ginger
- 500 ml water
- Half teaspoon of vegetable bouillon powder
- 50 g of creamed coconut
- Set your oven to 200 C/Gas Mark 6. Wash your beetroot and loosely wrap each one in kitchen foil. Place the wrapped beetroot on an oven tray. Roast the beetroot in the oven for around 40 minutes until soft. Remove the beetroot from the oven and allow to cool. When they are cool enough to handle, remove the skins using a sharp knife. Roughly chop the peeled beetroot.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large heavy-based pan
- Peel and chop the onion, add it to the pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook very gently for around 30 minutes until the onion is soft and sweet. Slow cooking caramelises the natural sugars in the onion and greatly improves the flavour of the soup.
- When the onion is cooked, add the chopped beetroot together with the peeled and crushed garlic cloves. Peel the fresh ginger and finely grate it into the pan.
- Add the water and vegetable bouillon power to the pan. Gently cook the soup for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream to the soup.
- Blend the soup until it is smooth using a food processor or hand-held blender.
Keywords: beetroot, soup, vegan