Easy Beetroot and Carrot salad
This Beetroot and Carrot salad can be made in ten minutes and only contains three main ingredients plus a zesty, citrus dressing. It is great as a side dish and also as a filling for sandwiches or pitta bread. This is one of my favourite winter salads as it is so quick and easy, has fantastic fresh crunchiness that I crave at this time of year and also it is such a brilliant, almost psychedelic, red-pink colour that it always cheers me up!
Raw vegetables – easy, healthy and tasty
This recipe involves no cooking. The finely-grated beetroot and the carrot are is raw. You may have used raw carrot in salads before but possibly not raw beetroot. However, its sweet crunchiness – similar to that of the carrot but with an added depth of beetroot flavour – is a fantastic raw salad ingredient. Keeping the vegetables raw, in addition to tasting good and having that fresh crunch that is very welcome in a winter salad, also retains all their nutrients.
The dressing of this salad is a combination of orange and lemon juice. This gives it a flavour and tartness which enhances both the beetroot and the carrot. It will be thinner than a conventional dressing as it has a high proportion of juice to olive oil. In fact, it works partly as a marinade with the acid in the juice working to enhance the flavour of the grated vegetables particularly if you make the salad at least a couple of hours before you plan to eat it.
The final ingredient in this simple salad is dried cranberries. I have discovered these quite recently and love them as an alternative to raisins or sultanas. In addition to the sweetness of other dried fruit, they have a pop of cranberry sharpness which really perks up your recipes.
Salads – not just for summer..
I am a firm believer in winter salads. On cold, grey winter days, I crave crisp, fresh vegetables and sharp, tasty dressings. These are some of my favourite winter salads – all of which are extremely easy to make.
- Aubergine Salad with Soy and Honey – this is a great, easy oriental-style salad with a fantastic hit of umami flavour which can be made in 15 minutes
- Thai Cucumber Salad – fresh, crunchy and tasty with brilliant Thai flavours which takes 5 minutes
- Spiced Carrot Salad with Honey and Lemon – this salad takes a bit longer to make as the carrots are roasted but it is worth it as the lemon, honey and North African spices work magic on this versatile vegetable
- Roasted Beetroot Salad with Yogurt and Tahini – again, this salad takes a bit longer to make but it is worth it for the intense flavour of the roasted beetroot
Beetroot and Carrot Salad – 10 minute recipePrint
Beetroot and Carrot Salad
- Prep Time: 10
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: English
This simple raw Beetroot and Carrot salad is healthy and delicious and can be made in only 10 minutes.
- 3 small beetroots
- 4 carrots
- 50 g dried cranberries
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Peel and coarsely grate the raw beetroots and carrots.
- Put in a bowl with the dried cranberries.
- Make the dressing by putting the olive oil in a measuring jug and adding the squeezed juice of the orange and the lemon, the honey and the salt. Mix well to combine. The dressing will be quite thin as the proportion of oil to juice is lower than in a normal dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the beetroot, carrot and cranberries. If possible, leave for a couple of hours before eating to allow the flavours to develop.
- This recipe is vegetarian. If you want to make it vegan, you can use an alternative, such as maple syrup, for the honey.
Keywords: beetroot, carrot, salad
This recipe has been shared on #CookBlogShare with Crumbs and Corkscrews and #FiestaFriday with Fiesta Friday and Liz at Spades, Spoons and Spatulas
9 thoughts on “Beetroot and Carrot Salad”
Ooo the colour is beautiful and such a lovely healthy alternative slaw! Thanks for sharing #CookBlogShare
Thank you – I like the colour too ????
I totally agree that salads are not just for summer especially when they are so vibrant and tasty like this one! Love the sound of your zesty dressing too.
Thank you – I love a winter salad!
Another really healthy and tasty recipe from Tastebotanical!
Thank you ????
Thank you ????
This sounds delicious and a good winter salad… thanks
Thank you ????