Fried Aubergine with Soy and Honey
This recipe for Fried Aubergine with Soy and Honey is quick, easy and is a great way to convert any aubergine haters. Aubergines naturally absorb flavours when cooked and are a great base for strong flavours, such as the umami taste of soy and the heat of chilli. In this recipe, honey adds a touch of sweetness to balance the saltiness and heat of the other ingredients. It is really important to ensure that aubergine is well cooked so that it becomes soft – no one likes a chewy aubergine!
I serve this Fried Aubergine hot as a side dish with curries and stir-fries. However, it is also great at room temperature as a salad. I will often take it to work with me as part of my eat-at-the-desk lunch – together with some cold rice or noodles and find the combination of flavours frankly addictive! It is also good as part of a cold buffet.
There are a number of similar recipes for Fried Aubergine including one from BBC Ready Steady Cook and another from the fantastic Amuse Your Bouche blog. Mine uses less honey in proportion to the aubergine as I just want a hint of sweetness and is heavier on the chilli as I like a lot of heat!
Fried Aubergine with Soy and HoneyPrint
Soft, fried aubergine is enhanced by the umami of soy sauce and the heat of dried chilli and sweetened with a touch of honey in this fifteen minute recipe.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large aubergines
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- Chop the aubergines into cubes of approximately 1 cm.
- Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan.
- Add the aubergine cubes, crushed garlic, honey, soy sauce and chilli flakes to the pan.
- Fry for about 10 minutes. By this point, the aubergine should be soft, dark brown and glossy and all the liquid will have been absorbed.
- This dish can be eaten hot or at room temperature.
This recipe is vegetarian but , if agave syrup is substituted for the honey, can be vegan.
Keywords: aubergine, vegetarian, soy sauce
Love this recipe? You may also like