Broad Bean Salad
This Broad Bean Salad combines the fresh-tasting beans with tangy feta cheese. Spring onions provide additional flavour and radishes provide an extra crunchy texture. A lemon and olive oil dressing brings the tastes of the ingredients together.
You can make this salad ahead of time, in fact I think it improves if it is left for a while as the dressing brings the flavours of the other ingredients together. This makes it great for cold buffets, picnics or take-to-work lunches.
If you cannot get hold of fresh broad beans, and they are not that common in supermarkets, you can use frozen broad beans. I think broad beans, along with peas, are one of the vegetables which keep their flavour and texture best when frozen.
Recent posts on tastebotanical
Loved this recipe? Checkout the Recipe Index.
Other easy salads
I love salads and eat them all the year around – not just in summer. If you like this Broad Bean Salad recipe, you might also like some of my other salad recipes.
- Aubergine Salad with Soy and Honey – A great, easy oriental-style salad with a fantastic hit of umami flavour which can be made in 15 minutes.
- Thai Cucumber Salad – Fresh, crunchy and tasty with brilliant Thai flavours which takes 5 minutes.
- Raw Beetroot and Carrot Salad – This is another quick and easy raw salad which has a zesty citrus dressing.
- Red Cabbage Coleslaw – An easy raw salad which includes red cabbage, carrot and apple.
- Roasted Pepper Salad – This simple vegan salad can be served either warm or at room temperature.
- Spiced Carrot Salad with Honey and Lemon – This salad takes a bit longer to make as the carrots are roasted. It is worth it as the lemon, honey and North African spices work magic on this versatile vegetable.
- Roasted Beetroot Salad with Yogurt and Tahini – Again, this salad takes a bit longer to make but it is worth it for the intense flavour of the roasted beetroot.
Broad Bean Salad recipePrint
This tasty salad can be made in advance and is a great addition to cold buffets and picnics. It combines broad beans with tangy feta and crunch radishes with a zesty lemon dressing.
- 600 g fresh podded broad beans or frozen broad beans
- 150 g feta cheese
- 3 large radishes
- 4 spring onions
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the broad beans either by putting into a pan of boiling water and simmering for five minutes or by steaming for five minutes.
- Drain the beans and cover with cold water to stop the cooking process and to cool them down so they can easily be handled.
- Remove the outer skins from the beans. There is a technique to this which involves splitting the outer skin with your thumb nail and then squeezing gently so that the inner part of the bean pops out of the skin.
- Place the skinned beans in a bowl. Chop the feta cheese into small chunks, slice the spring onions and radishes and add them all to the bowl with the beans.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper to the bowl and stir to combine. Be sparing with the salt as the feta cheese will be quite salty.
This salad can be made ahead of time which makes it great for buffets and picnics
If you can’t get fresh broad beans you can use frozen broad beans which give an excellent result
Keywords: broad beans, fava beans, feta, salad, picnic, buffet