Broad Bean Salad
This Broad Bean Salad combines the fresh-tasting beans with tangy feta cheese. Spring onions provide additional flavour and radishes provide an extra crunchy texture. A lemon and olive oil dressing brings the tastes of the ingredients together.
You can make this salad ahead of time, in fact I think it improves if it is left for a while as the dressing brings the flavours of the other ingredients together. This makes it great for cold buffets, picnics or take-to-work lunches.
If you cannot get hold of fresh broad beans, and they are not that common in supermarkets, you can use frozen broad beans. I think broad beans, along with peas, are one of the vegetables which keep their flavour and texture best when frozen.
Broad Bean Salad
This tasty salad can be made in advance and is a great addition to cold buffets and picnics. It combines broad beans with tangy feta and crunch radishes with a zesty lemon dressing.
- 600 g fresh podded broad beans or frozen broad beans
- 150 g feta cheese
- 3 large radishes
- 4 spring onions
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the broad beans either by putting into a pan of boiling water and simmering for five minutes or by steaming for five minutes.
- Drain the beans and cover with cold water to stop the cooking process and to cool them down so they can easily be handled.
- Remove the outer skins from the beans. There is a technique to this which involves splitting the outer skin with your thumb nail and then squeezing gently so that the inner part of the bean pops out of the skin.
- Place the skinned beans in a bowl. Chop the feta cheese into small chunks, slice the spring onions and radishes and add them all to the bowl with the beans.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper to the bowl and stir to combine. Be sparing with the salt as the feta cheese will be quite salty.
This salad can be made ahead of time which makes it great for buffets and picnics
If you can’t get fresh broad beans you can use frozen broad beans which give an excellent result
Keywords: broad beans, fava beans, feta, salad, picnic, buffet
Love this recipe? You may like